A blue plaque in commemoration of the Derbyshire banker and entrepreneur Thomas Evans will be officially...>>Read more
Our Judging Panel will be considering building projects during the first week in January. Please send...>>Read more
Subscriptions for 2016-17
Dear Members,Subscriptions for 2016-17 are due on Aug 1st and should be sent to ROBIN WOOD 103 WHITAKER...>>Read more
GEORGE LARKIN BRIGHTER CITY OF DERBY AWARDS
GEORGE LARKIN was a founder member of the Derby Civic Society and the senior partner in the architectural practice of T H Thorpe and Partners then at Pickford House, 41 Friar Gate. For 25 years he carried out inspections of churches in Derbyshire on behalf of the Derby Diocesan Advisory Committee. It was as President of Derby Civic Society, that he instigated the award in the form of certificates as a contribution to the Better City Campaign for projects which had enhanced the built environment of Derby. Each year, a trophy in memory of George Larkin, kindly donated to the Society by his family, is awarded in addition to the certificates. The Society also award a second trophy for a work of refurbishment
Who can submit suggestions?
You don't have to be the owner of a property or an architect. If you feel there is a project which deserves recognition and improves the environment of the City, please let us know. It can be any project of
new construction, or renovation, or adaptation, or restoration, or maintenance.
Self nomination is also perfectly acceptable.
- Projects should have been completed in the relevant calendar year.
- Entries should comprise a brief description of the project and may be accompanied by photographs preferably showing "before" and "after". The photos are not essential.
- All material should be free of copyright or other restrictions against reproduction in publications.
- Entries will be judged by a committee of the Derby Civic Society. No correspondence can be entered into concerning its decisions.
- The awards, which will be made by the Mayor of the City of Derby at the Society' s Annual Coffee morning in February, may include highly commended projects as well as the winners. Recognition is given both to the developer and to the architect of winning entries.